Fri, Jun 09|
Akron Soul Train
Akron Soul Train is staying open until 9 pm, for the Akron ArtWalk. Don't miss your chance to see Katherine G. Moore: the space between landing and falling and Eva Polzer: just girlie things.
Time & Location
Jun 09, 5:00 PM – Jun 10, 9:00 PM
Akron Soul Train , 191 S Main St, Akron, OH 44308, USA
About the event
On Friday, June 9th from 5:00 – 9:00 pm, experience Akron’s quarterly ArtWalk filled with art and activities at participating locations in Akron’s Historic Arts District.
- Summit Artspace 20+ resident artists will open their studios to the public.
- 15+ pop-up artist vendors will sell handmade artwork throughout the building.
- Kent State University’s Wick Poetry Center’s Traveling Stanzas Poetry Makerspace will park in front of the building and invite visitors to create poems grounded in social justice themes.
- Christa Boske, director of Art-C (Art for Resistance through Change), will be leading a collaborative chalking street mural for all to participate in, exploring the individual gifts we bring to our community.
- A special Queer Market, organized by Micah Moo will feature the work of LGBTQIA+ artists for sale.
- The Summit FM (91.3) will broadcast from Summit Artspace. Summit FM’s community service programming links our community to social well-being through a unique combination of music, stories, health, and music education.
- Local service and advocacy organizations will provide information throughout the building.
- Food vendors include: Bereka Coffee and Ethiopian Food (vegan options), Stray Dog (hot dogs and more), Best Damn Smoked Meat, Honeydew Bakeshop (vegan bakery/sweets), The Pierogi Lady, and Pop Culture Cleveland (frozen treats with vegan options).
In addition, nearby activities in and near the Historic Arts District include:
- Serve the People Akron will be organizing an interactive, multi-media community art exhibition, “The Art of an Akron Uprising” that invites people for a day of community joy, reflection, learning, and creative expression. In the Akron Art Museum parking lot, 29 S Broadway St, 5-9pm.
- The Akron-Summit County Public Library Downtown Branch will be open to the public from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. The Library will conduct activities at the Art Museum after 6 p.m.
- The Akron Art Museum will be open to the public free of charge from 11 a.m. – 9 p.m. including the new exhibit, “Keith Haring: Against All Odds.” Galleries will be open and free, while the Bud & Susie Rogers Garden will be activated with fun-for-all activities.
- The Nightlight Cinema will screen the dark comedy thriller Sanctuary (2022, Rated R).
- Akron Soul Train will open its galleries from 5 – 9 p.m. for visitors. Exhibits are “the space between landing and falling” by Katherine G. Moore and “just girlie things” by Eva Polzer.
- Curated Storefront has new storefronts with fresh artwork to visit during ArtWalk at the Chemstress Building Courtyard and Huntington Tower on Main Street. Clayton Bailey’s World of Wonders will be open from 4-8 p.m. Polsky Building, 225 S. Main St., Akron. Finally, the exhibition “a sack of milk and the botulism of meat” featuring the work of local artist Alexia Avdelas will be open from 5-9 p.m. at Bounce Innovation Hub, Suite 409 526 S Main St., Akron OH 44311.
- In the Northside District, the Northside Cellar and Zeber-Martell Gallery and Clay Studio will be open until 5 p.m.
- Jilly’s Music Room will host DJ Chaka’s dance party, playing 70s hits starting at 8 p.m. FREE.
- BLU Jazz+ and BLU-tique Hotel host live music, food, and spirits.
General parking for ArtWalk is available in the lot between Summit Street and Broadway Street (43 S. Broadway St.), on surrounding streets and lots, and at participating locations.